Thanks to a hard work from thfr@, it is now possible to play the commercial game Slay The Spire on OpenBSD.
Small introduction to the game by myself. It’s a solo card player where you need to escalate a tower. Each floor may contain enemie(s), a merchant, an elite (harder enemies) or an event. There are three characters playable, each unlocked after some time. The game is really easy to understand, each time you restart from scratch with your character, you will earn items and cards to build a deck for this run. When you die, you can unlock some new items per characters and unlock cards for next runs. Every run really start over from scratch. The goal is to go to the top of the tower. Each character are really different to play and each allow a few types of obvious deck builds.
The game work with an OpenBSD 6.5 minimum. For this you will need:
- Buy Slay The Spire on GOG or Steam (steam requires to install the windows or linux client)
- Copy files from a Slay The Spire installation (Windows or Linux) to your OpenBSD system
- Install some packages with pkg_add(1): apache-ant openal jdk rsync lwjgl xz maven
- Download this script to build and replace libraries of the game with new one for OpenBSD
- Don’t forget to eat, hydrate yourself and sleep. This game is time consuming :)
The process is easy to achieve, find the file desktop–1.0.jar from the game, and run the previously downloaded script in the same folder of this file. This will download an archive from my server which contains sources of libgdx modified by thfr@ to compile on OpenBSD. The script will take care of downloading it, compile a few components, replace original files of the game.
Finally, start the game with the following command:
/usr/local/jdk-1.8.0/bin/java -Xmx1G -Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=true com.megacrit.cardcrawl.desktop.DesktopLauncher
All settings and saves are stored in the game folder, so you may want to backup it if you don’t want to lose your progression.
Again, thanks to thfr@ for his huge work on making games working on OpenBSD!