1. Introduction §
This article is about deploying the Gemini server agate on the Guix linux distribution.
Gemini quickstart to explain Gemini to beginners
2. Configuration §
Guix manual about web services, search for Agate.
Add the agate-service definition in your /etc/config.scm file, we will store the Gemini content in /srv/gemini/content and store the certificate and its private key in the upper directory.
If you have something like %desktop-services or %base-services, you need to wrap the services list a list using "list" function and add the %something-services to that list using the function "append" like this.
(list (service openssh-service-type)
3. Generating the certificate §
- Create directories /srv/gemini/content
- run the following command in /srv/gemini/
openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout key.rsa -out cert.pem -days 3650 -nodes -subj "/CN=YOUR_DOMAIN.TLD"
- Apply a chmod 400 on both files cert.pem and key.rsa
- Use "guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm" to install agate
- Use "chown agate:agate cert.pem key.rsa" to allow agate user to read the certificates
- Use "herd restart agate" to restart the service, you should have a working gemini server on port 1965 now
4. Conclusion §
You are now ready to publish content on Gemini by adding files in /srv/gemini/content , enjoy!