This article is about deploying the Gemini server agate on the Guix linux distribution.
Add the agate-service definition in your /etc/config.scm file, we will store the Gemini content in /srv/gemini/content and store the certificate and its private key in the upper directory.
(service agate-service-type (agate-configuration (content "/srv/gemini/content") (cert "/srv/gemini/cert.pem") (key "/srv/gemini/key.rsa"))
If you have something like %desktop-services or %base-services, you need to wrap the services list a list using "list" function and add the %something-services to that list using the function "append" like this.
(services (append (list (service openssh-service-type) (service agate-service-type (agate-configuration (content "/srv/gemini/content") (cert "/srv/gemini/cert.pem") (key "/srv/gemini/key.rsa")))) %desktop-services))
Generating the certificate §
- Create directories /srv/gemini/content
- run the following command in /srv/gemini/
openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout key.rsa -out cert.pem -days 3650 -nodes -subj "/CN=YOUR_DOMAIN.TLD"
- Apply a chmod 400 on both files cert.pem and key.rsa
- Use "guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm" to install agate
- Use "chown agate:agate cert.pem key.rsa" to allow agate user to read the certificates
- Use "herd restart agate" to restart the service, you should have a working gemini server on port 1965 now
You are now ready to publish content on Gemini by adding files in /srv/gemini/content , enjoy!